These have become a family favorite! Originally inspired by Veggie and the Beast here, I have changed these to suit our family's tastes, and add convenience, of course! Anything that I can pull together quick, and is guaranteed-delicious for the whole family is a WIN here, and makes it into the go-to rotation. We LOVE these!
Cauliflower Rice Filling:
10-12 lettuce leaves*
1 head of cauliflower, processed fine**
5 green onions, 5 count
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
2 C grated carrots
5oz crimini mushrooms, chopped roughly
5oz Brussels sprouts, sliced and chopped
cilantro, for garnish
chopped peanuts, for garnish
1/4 C coconut aminos (or liquid aminos/tamari/soy sauce)
2 T maple syrup
1 T natural PB
1 t chili sauce (more if you like heat)
1. Wash all vegetables. Let lettuce leaves dry on paper towels while preparing everything else.
2. Chop all other vegetables.
3. In large skillet or wok, add green onions, garlic, peppers and carrots with 1-2 T water over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Prepare sauce in the meantime.
4. Then add mushrooms, brussels sprouts, and season all vegetables with 2-3 T prepared sauce. Toss every few minutes, and cook until mushrooms and brussels are tender.
5. To the remaining sauce, add 1/3 C peanut butter, 1-2 t maple syrup (taste as you go), and 2-4T hot water and stir until the desired consistency. (Start with 2T hot water, and add more if you like it thinner.) Add a little more chili paste for desired heat.
6. To assemble, add filling to lettuce cups, drizzle with sauce, and garnish with cilantro and peanuts. (Note: Hold off until everyone has served themselves some sauce, and THEN you can lick it straight from the spoon! You'll definitely want to!)
*Smaller leaves like mini red leaf lettuce or butter leaf lettuce work well.
**Time saver: look for pre-processed "cauliflower rice" at your local grocery store. Trader Joe's carries this, and it saves cleaning a food processor! For extra time saving, I like to get pre-julienned carrots and pre-chopped mushrooms too! Give me ALL the extra time, please.